Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 15 Library 2.0

It is very exciting to be a librarian now - everything is constantly changing and changing fast. It is also a little scary and challenging too for the same reason.

Several things struck me as I was reading the articles.
First I was interested in the 2 cents blog post on "schooly games". It brought up an important point that while we want to use these exciting tools and programs kids are interested in we also need to be careful that we don't become gimmicky. Often times we take these exciting technologies and water them down so much so they can be used in the schools that they become unrecognisable and just another chore for students. It is important that we are using the best tool for the job and not just the "newest" thing just for the sake of trying to be "cool".

I was also interested in the "Away from Icebergs" post. One thing that worries me about the point the author makes for getting rid of the "just in case collection" is the existanc eof the digital divide. There are still many, many families who don't have access to computers or the internet at home. There are still many, many schools who have insufficient computer access for students. I am afraid students aren't learning the old ways and don't really have access to the new ways either.

I do think it is important that libraries continue to be open and accomedating to our patrons. I think that this is something that as a profession we are good at and willing to do.

No comments: