Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thing 14 Technorati

I like the idea of a blog search engine. If I want to find blog posts or specific blogs on a particular topic this would be a great tool. Searching tags narrowed the results quite a bit from 235 posts to 64 tags. I liked how the results include a time reference so I know how current the post is. Sometimes that makes a huge difference. The web 2.0 in the directory is located under the tech subject heading. So the results aren't specific to library or school web 2.o so some sorting and evaluating will be needed.

Looking at the popular blogs I was surprised that I knew of a couple of them and even read them sometimes (Boing Boing and Huffington). Nothing very surprising about the top searches. They seem pretty random. I had never heard of Kerry Howler so I followed the link to see who she was. I hadn't heard her name in the news or anything so I was surprised enough people were searching her name that it came up in a top search. I haven't been listening or watching too much news with the overload of Michael Jackson coverage. The popular tags looked about what I would expect-blogging variations, music, politics, relationships etc... although "life" seems a bit ambitious!

I like the idea of searching the blogs but I was a bit disappointed by my personal search. I searched a favorite author (Ellen Kushner) and got a few results. I wasn't expecting huge results -she's not hugely popular so that was okay. I followed one link to a blog but was unable to find the reference to her. So not so successful for what I wanted. I did find a new blog to read (like I needed another one!) and discovered a reading challenge I might try. So not totally wasted but not what I needed. I won't give up though. I'll try again.

No comments: