Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thing 23 The End


Not really an end but just the beginning. I think this experience has been a great opportunity to play with some of these tools that I had mostly heard about but never had the time or inclination to explore.

1. My favorite discoveries and exercises were photostory, rollyo, rss feeds, and flickr. I had heard of all of these except rollyo before but never really used them. I had set up a flickr account but never did anything with it after that initial posting of a few pictures. I love my rss feed and use it several times a day and it really helps me keep up with my blogs. I also really liked the Big Huge Labs which I did not know about and will use with my teachers and students.

2. This program has been great for my life long learning goals because it provides me opportunities to continue to explore new technology tools and share them with my colleagues and students. It also provides an ongoing opportunity for me to explore these tools on my own time and for my own development. It is very open ended and is changing constantly.

3. One unexpected outcome was The Library Thing. I have read about it and seen it several times on various blogs but it never struck me as anything I would really be interested in but once I actually went there and explored the site I really liked it. I am not interested in cataloging my books there but many of the other services would be helpful and of interest to me. I thought all it did was catalog books for people but the lists, forums, and book groups interest me.

4. I have no suggestions to improve the Library2play project. I like the setup and freedom of working through the different exercises.

5. I would definately participate in future projects setup like this one. In fact I plan on keeping Library2play bookmarked in my delicious account so I can go back and work through some of the exercises for a refresher course in the future.

6. In one word or sentence I would describe this program as: 23 things to build your technology muscle!

2 comments:

VWB said...

your first sentence is so true...a playground that becomes a launching pad for so much more!

Congratulations on completing your summer adventure. Hope you continue to share your successes with us thru this blog.

My Library Lady said...

Hi April! I think that you and I and all the WISD librarians should great a discovery program like this for the WISD teachers! If we build it, surely they will come!

Of all the great things we have learned, I'm sure the teachers would find lots to love and use as well! Maybe we can build it in time for them to get Staff Dev credit for next summer-- or even in the spring! What do you think?