Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing 19 WEB 2.0 Awards List



First I looked at Zango (Games category) but it is a closed community so bummer.

I've used Urbanspoon before -or well I've tried to use it. At TLA in Houston this past Spring we were looking for a restaurant and wanting to be adventurous too but really we were just HUNGRY so we gave up on the randomness that is Urbanspoon and just settled for finding anything that was open. Harder than one would think in downtown Houston.

So I looked at Lulu (Books). This is a self -publishing site. It looks like one can do print to order books as well as self published. I liked the photo book idea. I think this is a really cool idea and I have never seen this before. I would like to take some of my photos from my European trip last summer and make a little book for myself. So I could see using this site personally. There is a community aspect of the site to offer support to self published writers and the like.

I could see using this site in a school setting to "professionally" publish a class book or something to that effect. I'm not sure the money it would cost (actually it ranges from $369-1,369) but I could see some schools being able to do something like this. Obviously this is not an option for many schools or communities.

A librarian might use this site to search for a niche book that he/she has been unable to find elsewhere. I am not sure it would be useful as an everyday source for books/materials. There are no reviews on site so one would have to take a chance on the material and review everything oneself before adding it to the collection.

Photo: From Castle Hill, Budapest June 2008




















1 comment:

VWB said...

you are right, the prices are a little steep aren't they? I don't think I realized that. I have often thought wouldn't it be a nice idea for parents in a class to gift a class book to the teacher (instead of all the "stuff") but not many groups of parents could do that for that amount.

but you can get copies of odd little books for small amounts...books that people and organizations have done.

Blue Skunk Blog writer Doug Johnson allows you to download one of his books on technology for free! Interesting reading, and so is his blog!