Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 22 Ning

Nings are pretty cool. I think they would be great to use with students esp. as, like the article stated, students often feel inhibited if teachers use facebook or myspace for school related activities.
Nings are easy to set up and it looks like there is one for everything. I searched for 4 different things and found at least one for each subject of interest. But they are often very small and fall out of use quickly. For example the greyhound ning I found is several years old and the forum only had two messages.
I am a member of the Texas School Librarian Ning but I don't often visit (I wasn't even sure I was a member but I found myself in a search). So I don't often use this resource. I guess because there are just so many others out there like the library listserv. I did like the Education of the Future ning and I will continue to check it out. I might be interested in joining it.
I do think that this would be a great tool to use with a class if one didn't want to set up a wiki or build a whole webpage from scratch.

No comments: